Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Review: "Softening the Bad Things" from Lucky 13 Lacquer

Today is a rather special post (to me anyways), but before I get into talking about that I first want to touch upon the new brand that I'm reviewing today. I discovered Lucky 13 Lacquer through Accio Lacquer's blog. They are a 3free, cruelty free and vegan friendlly indie brand who has done many lacquer collections based on fandoms I love, including: Firefly, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Nightmare Before Christmas, Doctor Who, and many more.

In fact today's polish review stems from one of my most favorite episodes of Doctor Who. It is inspired by the Van Gogh episode of Doctor Who. To be more specific it was most inspired by two things: Van Gogh's  painting of sunflowers  & The Doctor's quote about life (shown below).


Here is the clip of that very quote if you would like to watch it.



Vincent Van Gogh's sunflower painting



It is standard knowledge today that Vincent Van Gogh suffered from a mental illness that led to his suicide, and that is what is at the core of this polish. Hence why it is entitled "Softening the Bad Things" because millions of people suffer from a mental illness (ie. anxiety, depression, ptsd, bipolar disorder, etc) and some people even go so far as to commit suicide. At one time or another we ourselves or someone close to us will experience the crushing feeling of depression. It is all around us and oftentimes it is not dealt with. So in honor of those who suffer from or know someone who suffers from a mental illness or attempts suicide a portion of the proceeds will go to NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) to help prevent suicide and understand mental illnesses. 

Softening the Bad Things

The polish itself is a pale blue jelly with gold hexes and tiny black glitter to represent Van Gogh's sunflower painting. Personally I think the color palette hit the nail on the head. The application was easy (though my clean up was awful lol). Two coats for full opacity. Oh, and this is a limited edition polish, so there are only so many bottles made.



Elmer's base, 2 coats STBT, clear top coat









Sooo pretty!













This polish will forever be near and dear to my heart, not just for it's beauty or relation to my favorite artist and one of my favorite shows but because the meaning behind it and the cause it stands for is important to me. If this cause is important to you or you just love the polish please go grab a bottle before its too late: Lucky 13 Lacquer. I know there is some left but I don't know how many, and after this batch is gone I don't know when it will be back. If you do happen to miss out on this wonderful polish please check out some of her other awesome polishes. I know I bought several to try out and can't wait!

Heck, I was so pumped about this polish I made sure to wear my Doctor Who tshirt with it!

Eleven wasn't my first doctor... but still :)


Pure awesomeness!

So for now I will leave you all with this virtual hug :)


Until next time
-Andi

No comments:

Post a Comment